The idea of Kuressaare Weighhouse comes from Swedish statesman Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie who ruled Saaremaa in 1648-1654. The building was finished in 1663, it is a baroque style building decorated with hewed volutes in apex of scaled gable. The smithed wind flag on top of the gable dates 1664. Interesting to know: Weighhouse was used for weighing the goods.
Until the end of 19th century the post office or horse post station situated in Weighhouse. In 1906 in Weighhouse situated the first Saaremaa private phone network switching exchange.
The Weighhouse stands at the central square, just opposite the Town Hall. The Weighhouse was built in 1666 to keep the public scales in there, while the central square served as the market place. This is the only building of that type having survived in Estonia. The main magic of the small two – storey limestone building lies in the strict symmetry and the scaled gable, decorating the facade. The Weighhouse was prolonged by a single – storeyed building in the 18th century, probably for the stables. The building has had numerous functions throughout the centuries. At the turn of the 18th century it accommodated the Town Guard, at the turn of the 19th the Town Post Station. The initial facade was restored in 1980 – 1982, architect L. Hansar, historian A.- M. Hallik